James Michael Gannon
for Morris County Sheriff
Background Highlights and Resume
Dynamic and accomplished Law Enforcement and Security Executive with over thirty-eight years’ experience interacting with local, state, federal and international law enforcement and intelligence communities. Proven ability to maintain operational security under complex conditions. Balanced combination of investigative expertise, management and leadership experience with excellent communication skills. Diplomatic demeanor, building cooperative relationships with entire team and government partners in coordinating effective programs. Highly organized, directing many projects at once while attending to all details. Successful in high-level National Security and other Intelligence investigations. Recognized expert in Major Case Management with extensive domestic and international training experience. Demonstrated expertise in the following: Public Speaking/ Relations, Supervision/Motivation, Inter-Agency Liaison, Interviewing/ Interrogation, Strategic Investigations, Evidence Gathering, Intelligence Collection & Analysis, Utilization of Confidential Human Sources, Anti-Terrorism Techniques, Electronic Investigations, Undercover Investigations, Death Investigations, Major Case Investigations, Narcotic Investigations, Product Security, Supply Chain Security , Extremism & Risk Investigations and Due Diligence investigations.
National Security Clearance
Top Secret (SCI Access) January 2006 to present
United States Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Global Entry Trusted Traveler, Membership # 982087048 July 2011 to present
United States Customs and Border Protection
State of New Jersey Permit to Carry a Handgun (NJSA 2C:39-6L) January 2008 to present
Summary of Experience
Morris County Sheriff January 2017 – present
Sheriff’s Association of New Jersey, President 2020- Present
200 Club of Morris County, President 2016-2017
Chairperson of the Board 2018- present
Board of Trustees 2018- present
Boy Scouts of America
Patriots Path Council
Board of Trustees, Vice Chairman 2018 - present
Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital
Board of Trustees 2018 - present
Table of Hope/ Spring Street CDC
County College of Morris 2017- present
Criminal Justice Advisory Board
County College of Morris 2019- present
Paramedic Science Advisory Board
Ramapo College 2020- present
Social Work Community Advisory Board
Centenary College 2016
Novartis Corporation June 11, 2014 to December 31, 2015
Corporate Security Department, East Hanover, NJ
Global Head, Security Risk
Responsible for Product Security (Anti-Counterfeiting, Theft and Illegal Diversion), Due Diligence (Business Intelligence and Background Screening) & Extremism Risk globally.
Novartis Corporation January 10, 2013 to June 10, 2014
Corporate Security Department, Morristown, NJ
Global Head, Extremism Risk & Due Diligence
Responsible for Extremism Risk and Due Diligence responsibilities globally.
Novartis Corporation January 1, 2010 to January 10, 2013
Corporate Security Department, Morristown, NJ
Director of Extremism & Risk Investigations
Responsible for Extremism & Risk Investigations (North America & South America) and with providing oversight and the development of Freight Security Requirements and the application of Technologies to our Supply Chain. Specializing in Physical and Technical Security Countermeasures and Access Control.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation April 14, 2008 to December 31, 2009
Security Department, East Hanover, NJ
Associate Director of Investigations & Compliance
Responsible for Corporate Investigations on all Novartis Pharmaceuticals campuses in the United States; Background Investigations, Compliance with all state and federal licensing requirements along with the Prescription Drug Marketing Act (PDMA) and DEA Regulations; investigations pursuant to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002; Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation Emergency Management Team and with providing Physical and Technical Security to our Supply Chain.
Federal Bureau of Investigation November 7, 2005 to December 31, 2007
Joint Terrorism Task Force, Squad CT-6
Newark, New Jersey
Task Force Officer
Deputized United States Marshal
Investigate sensitive International Terrorism and other National Security matters. Daily interaction with federal, state, county and local law enforcement partners, intelligence community partners, Legal Attaché’s throughout the world and members of the international law enforcement and intelligence communities. Managed multiple International Terrorism investigations involving numerous FBI Field Offices and the intelligence community. These matters involved the utilization of sophisticated techniques, the handling of confidential human sources and the coordination of intelligence received from foreign agencies.
Morris County Prosecutor’s Office March 1986 to December 31, 2007
Records and Administration Building
P.O. Box 900
Morristown, NJ 07963
Deputy Chief of Investigations
Nearly 22 years of experience in a premier agency serving a wealthy, professional, suburban community of nearly 500,000 residents and home to many Fortune 500 companies. Promoted from Detective to Supervisor, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain and Deputy Chief of Investigations. Samplings of career highlights include the following:
- Commander- FuncoLand Homicide Task Force. This case led to the arrest of three defendants responsible for the murder of two young men during a $10,000 robbery.
- Commander- Walter Contreras Homicide Task Force. This case led to the arrest of one defendant responsible for the kidnapping, rape and murder of a 10-year-old boy.
- Integral role in the investigation of over 120 homicides and has consulted on many major case investigations throughout the world.
- Started the Morris County Cold Case Unit in 2003. This included the development of policies and procedures along with the formation of a successful Task Force of subject matter experts.
- Coordinated the arrest of three defendants in possession of 570 kilograms of Cocaine.
- Co-authored the “Morris County Counter-Terrorism Task Force Manual”. This included the involvement of our partners in the private sector with expertise to assist us in combating the war on terrorism.
- Successfully conducted threat assessments, vulnerability studies and security planning for major events in Morris County.
- On September 11, 2001, led a team of police officers into New York City to assist with the PENTTBOMB Investigation. Established a Command Post, interviewed survivors, deployed Search and Rescue Teams and other tasks as requested by the NYPD and the FBI. Established a hybrid team (WMDAT: Weapons of Mass Destruction Assessment Team) of Detectives from the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office and the Morris County Sheriff’s Office who were assigned to the FBI Evidence Response Team, Newark Division. This team was operational 24 hours a day for eight days and conducted a number of critical search warrants in Passaic and Hudson Counties as well as evidence examinations at the landfill in Staten Island. Furthermore, I was responsible for the Missing Persons investigations involving the death of 58 Morris County residents on 9/11/2001. In the fall of 2001, oversaw over 325 “unknown white powder” (suspected Anthrax) investigations and the assignment and monitoring of over 400 investigative leads that were maintained in the Rapid Start data base. This lead information was routinely shared with the FBI.
- Member of the 1992-Kidnapped Exxon Executive Sidney Reso Investigative Team with Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Boonton Police Department January 1984 to March 1986
100 Washington Street
Boonton, New Jersey 07005
Assigned to the Patrol Division. Duties involved patrol via walking beat, motor vehicle and motor cycle. This assignment included the response to crimes in progress, medical assists and routine patrol. Also assigned to supplement the Detective Bureau.
Boonton Township Police Department January 1983 to January 1984
Boonton Township, New Jersey 07005
Assigned to the Patrol Division. Duties involved patrol via motor vehicle. Assignment included the response to crimes in progress, medical assists and routine patrol.
- State Advisory Boards on Use of Force, K-9 Reform, Body Worn Cameras and Judiciary Committee on Mental Health (2020- present)
- President - 200 Club of Morris County (2016-2017). Former - Trustee, Action Committee, Valor & Meritorious Awards Committee and Master of Ceremonies.
- National Association for Biomedical Research (NABR), Board of Directors (2012-2013)
- RAND Corporation, working group on “Cold Cases”.
- FBI National Academy Associates (169th Session)
- Harvard Associates in Police Science, Past President and Active Member
- International Homicide Investigators Association
- New Jersey Homicide Investigator’s Association
- International Association of Chiefs of Police
- American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS)
- New Jersey State PBA # 327, Life Member
- Emerald Society of the State of New Jersey, Morris County Chapter # 3 (co-founder)
- Police Pipe & Drums of Morris County (Drum Major)
- Cambridge’s Who’s Who
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- Who’s Who of Professionals
- Outstanding Young Men of America
- 1983-1984 – Member, Morris County Mental Health Players
- Recipient of the following police medals: Meritorious Service, Exceptional Duty, Honorable Service, Gallantry Star, Grand Cordon, Educational Achievement, Good Conduct and numerous Prosecutor Command Citations.
- 2021- Turning Point Honor of Distinction.
- 2021- Halos For Angels Inc. Award
- 2019- Patriotic Employer Award for Contributing to National Security and Protecting Liberty and Freedom by Supporting Employee Participation in America’s National Guard and Reserve Force.
- 2019- Certificate of Appreciation, Boy Scouts of America, Outstanding Contribution to the success of Leadership Excellence Direct Results 2019.
- 2018- Recipient of the Most Influential People in Security Award by Security Magazine.
- 2018- Recipient of George Gramby Humanitarian Award.
- 2018- CARES/MCPIK Award for Unrelenting Support, Innovative Thinking and Calls to Action to Help those Suffering from the Impact of Addiction.
- 2018- Recipient of Community Partnership Award from the Newark Police Department.
- 2018- Recipient of Award for Leadership, Dedication & Devoted Service by Islamic Center of Morris County.
- 2018- Recipient of Award for support of the Ukrainian Community.
- 2017- Recipient of Thought Leader Award by Security Magazine.
- 2017- Honoree, Daytop Classic
- 2017- Borough of Kinnelon Key to the Borough” presented by Mayor Robert Collins.
- 2017- Recipient of Award from the Pharmaceutical Cargo Security Coalition.
- 2017- Recipient of County of Morris Stigma Free recognition.
- 2017- Recipient of Award for Hope One by Mrs. NY America.
- 2014- Recipient of the Novartis Corporate Security Extremis Risk Team Award.
- 2013- Recipient of award and designation of Honorary Morris County Police Chief from Morris County Police Chief’s Association.
- 2011- Recipient of the Novartis Corporate Security Outstanding Achievement Award.
- 2011- Recipient of the Irish Heritage Award for Leadership and Professional Accomplishments of the Irish, Morris County (NJ) Prosecutor’s Office.
- 2011- “Cambridge’s Who’s Who” recognition.
- 2010- Recipient of the 2010 Executive Office for United States Attorneys’ (EOUSA) Director's Award for “Superior Performance by a Litigative Team”. This was the result of the arrest and conviction of numerous defendants of the Foreign Terrorist Organization Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), commonly referred to as the “Tamil Tigers”. Eric Holder, United States Attorney General, presented this award.
- 2010- Inducted into the Boonton (NJ) High School Hall of Fame.
- 2010- County College of Morris Foundation, Alumni Humanitarian Award “In Recognition of Humanitarian Dedication and Service to Society”.
- 2010- State of New Jersey, Joint Legislative Resolution from NJ Senate and General Assembly for County College of Morris Foundation Alumni Humanitarian Award.
- 2009-2010- “Strathmore’s Who’s Who” recognition
- 2008- Boy Scouts of America, Patriots Path Council Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2008- Honored by Resolution and/or Award from NJ Senate, NJ General Assembly, Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders, United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey, Morris County Prosecutor, Morris County Sheriff, Boonton Fire Department, Morris County Chiefs of Police Association, New Jersey State PBA, and the Police Pipes and Drums of Morris County.
- 2007 – Mountain Lakes Police Department Citizen Achievement Award.
- 2006-2007 – “Who’s Who of Professionals” recognition.
- 2004- Morris County Detectives Association “Detective of the Year Award”, (FuncoLand Homicide Task Force)
- 2004-Morris County 200 Club Meritorious Award recipient for Commanding the FuncoLand Homicide Task Force.
- 2004- American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS) Award as Commander of the FuncoLand Homicide Task Force.
- 2003- Morris County Prosecutor’s Commendation for leading the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office Narcotics Unit in the arrest of 3 defendants and the seizure of 575 kilograms of Cocaine.
- 2002- Morris County Detective’s Association “Detective of the Year Award” (Contreras Homicide)
- 2002-Awarded Honorary Membership in the Boonton Fire Department
- 2001- Mountain Lakes Police Department Citizen of the Year Award for leadership during 9/11/2001.
- 1999- Morris County Detectives Association Special Recognition Award - Homicide
- 1999- Morris County Detectives Association Certificate of Recognition “For Excellence in the Field of Criminal Investigation” ( Salierno Homicide)
- 1997- “Who’s Who of Professionals” recognition
- 1990- New Jersey State Robbery Investigators Association Award (O’Boyle Homicide)
- 1989 -Morris County Detectives Association “Detective of the Year Award” (Hall Homicide)
- 1987- Morris County Prosecutor’s Command Citation- St. v. Ralph DeChiara.
- 1986-Morris County Prosecutor’s Commendation – St. v. Gregory Bennett
- 1985-“Outstanding Young Men of America” recognition
- Qualified semi-annually for the last 38 years in the proficient use of assorted firearms consistent with the NJ Attorney General’s directives.
- Many letters of commendation from fellow police officers, outside law enforcement agencies and members of the community.
Presenter at the Federal Bureau of Investigation Advanced Criminal Investigation Seminar, the annual New Jersey State Police Annual Homicide Investigation Seminar at Princeton University, The Morris County Prosecutor’s Office Effective Death Investigation and Sex Crimes Investigations Seminars, along with others.
Department of Justice International Training Missions
Presenter at a 40 hour Major Case Management Seminar cooperatively with the United States of America, Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation in the following locations:
- 1996- Moscow, Russia- Death Investigation, Gun Shot Wounds, Time of Death and Case Management to the Russian Federation Police (MVD).
- 1998- St. Petersburg, Russia- Death Investigation, Gun Shot Wounds, Time of Death, Organized Crime in America and Major Case Management to the Russian Federation Police (MVD)
- 2000- Kiev, Ukraine- Death Investigation, Gun Shot Wounds, Time of Death, Organized Crime in America and Major Case Management to the Ukrainian National Police.
- 2002-Pretoria, South Africa - Effective Death Investigation, Time of Death, Crime Scene Management, Contract Murder Investigations, Major Case Management and Police Involved Shooting Investigations to the South African Police Service (S.A.P.S). The delegation also evaluated homicide and crime scene preservation protocols and consulted on homicides occurring in South Africa.
- 2002-Budapest, Hungary-presented a Homicide Investigation Seminar to the Bulgarian National Police at the International Law Enforcement Academy. I presented blocks of instruction on Effective Death Investigation Protocol, Contract Murder Investigation, Child Abduction Response Planning and DNA Evidence.
- 2002- Bangkok, Thailand- presented a Major Case Management Seminar to the Royal Thai Police. I presented blocks of instruction on Major Case Management, Effective Death Investigation, Investigative Technologies, Child Abduction Response Planning, Time of Death, DNA, Contract Murder Investigation and Managing Chaos. The delegation also evaluated and consulted on violent crimes occurring in Thailand.
- 2003-Bangkok, Thailand- presented a Major Case Management Seminar to the Ministry of Justice. The delegation evaluated the Ministry’s new position in law enforcement nationwide.
Other International Missions
- In 2004 “Freedom House”, an NGO contracted me to travel to Tashkent, Uzbekistan. In Tashkent, I investigated a death in police custody along with a former United States Ambassador and a Forensic Pathologist from Canada. The investigative findings were then presented at the United States Department of State.
- In 2008 “Institute for New Democracies”, an NGO contracted me to travel back to Uzbekistan. I met with the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Supreme Court, Prosecutor’s Office, national police department and other Uzbekistan government leaders. I then presented at a Human Rights seminar on matters involving National Security vs. Civil Liberties, Team Investigations and International Investigative Protocols.
Other Public Service
- 1980-1983 – Member & 1st Lieutenant, Boonton Kiwanis Ambulance Squad, serving Boonton, Boonton Township and Mountain Lakes.
- 1976-1979 – Member, Boonton Township Fire Service, Boonton Township, NJ.
Accredited Chief Executive (ACE) – Advanced November 7, 2019
Certificate # ACE COP Advanced 2019-0055
New Jersey Association of Chiefs of Police
Certificate, National Sheriff’s Institute September 2019
115 th Session
Master of Administrative Science May 2005
Fairleigh Dickinson University
Certificate in Supervisory Management March 1997
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Certificate, Federal Bureau of Investigation June 1992
FBI National Academy - 169th. Session
University of Virginia June 1992
Graduate studies in Public Administration
Jersey City State University January 1985
Jersey City, NJ
Graduate studies in Public Administration
Police Training Certification as a Police Officer, August 1983
Morris County Firefighters & Police Training Academy
President of the 20th Basic Class and the recipient of the
Bachelor of Science, Criminal Justice Administration May 1983
William Paterson University
Wayne, New Jersey
Associates in Science, Law Enforcement May 1981
County College of Morris
Randolph, New Jersey